Too sweet, full of additives and harmful, soda has-been! Today, the star of sparkling drinks is kefir! Healthy and delicious, it’s also economical and fun. Recipes and tips.
Originally from the Caucasus, kefir is a fermented drink that, according to legend, would allow you to live without being sick for up to 100 years! It is true that this drink is full of good bacteria, minerals (magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, potassium), amino acids, enzymes and vitamins (B, C, D). These nutritional contributions are explained by the fermentation of kefir grains. These small gelatinous pearls are rich in microorganisms (bacteria and yeast) and act as natural fermentations, giving rise to billions of probiotics. Enough to increase the population of your microbiota while diversifying it. This means that by consuming this type of lacto-fermented drink, you take care of your intestines, ensure a better absorption of nutrients and strengthen your immune system. But that’s not all… You improve your digestion, harmonize your transit, boost your energy, relieve your skin problems, lower your cholesterol and regulate your blood pressure. Recent preliminary studies also tend to show that kefir grains help fight cancer cells (colon, breast, blood). In conclusion, drink this refreshing drink and your body will thank you.
Choose your side There are two types of kefir, water kefir (also called fruit kefir, tibicos) and milk kefir. The first is thirst-quenching and quite neutral in taste, the second, more acidic, reminds of yogurt. To make your drink, you must first use the grains. You can buy them in an organic store or, in the great tradition of sharing kefir lovers, receive them from someone who grows them. There are discussion groups between individuals on the Internet and on social networks. When your first kefir is made, you have your own grains. They will be at the bottom of your jar. Above all, keep them. They are alive and will continue to reproduce if you pamper them. To do this, keep the fruit kefir grains cool in a small jar filled with mineral water and a pinch of sugar, and the milk grains in a jar filled with a little of your drink and milk. Want to enjoy all the benefits of your kefir? You still have to take care of the quality of the other ingredients. Choose spring or mineral water, ripe and seasonal organic fruit, unrefined sugar, organic plants…
Kefir: instructions for use
Impeccable hygiene is a must. The work surface, the containers, your hands must always be clean. Banish plastic, copper and aluminum on the jar side. Prefer glass. As for the size, it should be larger than the amount of preparation. So if you want to make 1 liter of kefir, plan on a 1.5 liter glass jar. And when your kefir is ready, never shake your bottle before opening or it will explode, open it slowly.
Creamy milk kefir
Ingredients for 1 litre
- 10 to 20 g of milk kefir grains
- 1 liter of animal milk (sheep, cow, whole or skimmed, raw, pasteurized, etc.) at room temperature
1. Put the grains in a 1.5 liter jar, add the milk and mix. Cover with cheesecloth held in place with an elastic band and let ferment at room temperature for 24 to 48 hours. The mixture will sour, develop a slight effervescence.
2. Filter, collect the kefir grains. Pour into a bottle with a screw cap. Keep refrigerated and eat within three days.
Sparkling fruit kefir
Ingredients for 1 litre
- 20 g fruit kefir grains
- 1 liter of water
- 25 g cane sugar
- 1 organically dried fig
- 1 peeled organic lemon
1. First fermentation: put the grains in a 1.5 liter jar, add water, sugar, figs and sliced lemon.
2. Mix with a large spoon, cover with cheesecloth held in place with a rubber band. Let it ferment at room temperature for 24 to 48 hours out of direct sunlight. The time varies according to the temperature, fermentation is faster in summer than in winter. The kefir is ready when the figs rise to the surface.
3. Second fermentation: filter your drink. Collect the kefir grains for next use. Pour into a bottle with a screw cap
4. Leave the bottle at room temperature for 24 to 48 hours to increase the effervescence. Then refrigerate to stop fermentation. This kefir will last for two weeks.
also read Lose weight while you sleep with these 5 amazing fat burning drinks